English Proverbs And Proverb Humor
Beauty without grace is sort of a hook without bait.
Contributed by Charon Muck, 26 Jan 2000
Caught between a rock and a hard place
Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea
(to be caught with two decisions which can be both undesirable)
Out of the frying pan and into the fire
(to go from a nasty to a worse situation)
May as properly be hanged for a sheep as a lamb
(if you are going to get into the identical quantity of bother, you may as nicely commit the higher offense)
Six of one, half a dozen of the other
(each selection is basically the identical factor)
Two sides of the same coin
(two facets of a situation which can be connected by necessity)
In for a penny, in for a pound
(if you’re going to make a minor committment you would possibly as nicely make all the committment)
Do not rely your chickens earlier than they’re hatched
(do not start making plans for one thing till it’s a actuality, fairly than a pleasing speculation)
Don’t cross your bridges before you get to them
(don’t be concerned about future problems before you need to)
A stitch in time saves nine
(if you take care of a problem while it’s small you will not have a much bigger downside to deal with later)
(or, as Dr. Who likes to say: A stitch in time takes up area)
Time and tide look ahead to no man
(act in a well timed trend since you cannot get back lost probabilities)
(or, once again as Dr. Who likes to say: Time and tide melts the snowman.)
Contributed by Rebecca Loos, Spokane, Washington, 5 June 2000
To pay attention is to be taught, and to understand is to inspire.
Contributed by Hannah Martinez, 5 February 2002
A lie nicely stuck to is nearly as good as the truth.
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander
Cf. Brian S. Kendig’s “Proverbs to Stay By” (external).
A penny saved makes Jack a dull boy A penny saved is a penny earned, and
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Absence makes the center go wander Absence makes the guts grow fonder
Abstinence makes the heart go wander
Chaste makes waste Haste makes waste
If apply makes excellent and no one’s excellent then why practice? Follow makes perfect and No one’s perfect
The early fowl catches the worm, however it’s the early worm that will get caught The early chicken catches the worm
The early chicken might get the worm, however the second mouse gets the cheese
Time wounds all heels Time heals all wounds
Where there’s a will, there’s a relative Where there is a will, there’s a method
Contributed by Somakala Somakala, three September 2001
Contributed by N. Venkatakrishnan, Chennai, India, August 2000.
1. Home is the place you grasp your @
2. The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail
three. A journey of a thousand websites begins with a single click on
4. You cannot educate a new mouse old clicks
5. Nice groups from little icons develop
6. Communicate softly and carry a cellular cellphone
7. C:\ is the basis of all directories
eight. Don’t put all of your hypes in a single dwelling page
9. Pentium clever; pen and paper foolish
10. The modem is the message
11. Too many clicks spoil the browse
12. The geek shall inherit the earth
13. A chat has nine lives.
14. Don’t byte off greater than you can view.
15. Fax is stranger than fiction
16. What boots up must come down
17. Windows will never cease
18. In Gates we trust
19. Digital reality is its own reward
20. Modulation in all things
21. A consumer and his leisure time are soon parted
22. There’s no place like home.com!
23. Know what to expect earlier than you connect
24. Oh, what a tangled Internet site we weave when first we apply
25. Velocity thrills
26. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to make use of the online and he won’t hassle you for weeks
1. If you’re too open-minded, your brains will fall out.
2. Age is a really excessive worth to pay for maturity.
3. Earlier than you criticize someone, walk a mile in his sneakers. That method, if he gets indignant, he’ll be a mile way – and barefoot.
Four. Going to church does not make you a holy particular person any greater than going to a storage makes you a mechanic.
5. Artificial intelligence is not any match for natural stupidity.
6. A transparent conscience is normally the signal of a bad reminiscence.
7. A closed mouth gathers no feet.
8. If it’s essential to select between two evils, pick the one you’ve got never tried earlier than.
9. My thought of housework is to sweep the room with a look.
10. Not one shred of evidence helps the notion that life is critical.
11. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
12. I’ve discovered at my age going mama bird tshirt bra-much less pulls mama bird tshirt all the wrinkles out of my face.
13. For each action, there may be an equal and reverse government program.
14. If you appear to be your passport picture, you probably need the journey.
15. At all times yield to temptation, because it might not cross your approach again.
Sixteen. A conscience is what hurts when all your other elements really feel so good.
17. Eat effectively, stay fit, die anyway.
18. No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
19. Males are from earth. Girls are from earth. Deal with it.
20. It’s wonderful what you will not find if you don’t search for it, particularly if it isn’t there. (Due to Mark O’Reilly, Dundee, Scotland.)
A first grade teacher collected old, well-known proverbs. She gave every child in her class the first half of a proverb, and had them give you the remaining.
1. As you shall make your mattress, so shall you……….mess it up
2. Higher to be safe than………………..punch a 5th grader
3. Strike while the…………………………..bug is shut
4. It’s always darkest earlier than………….daylight financial savings time
5. You’ll be able to lead a horse to water however…………………..how?
6. Do not bite the hand that…………………….seems dirty
7. A miss is nearly as good as a……………………………..Mr.
8. You cannot train an old dog new……………………..math
9. When you lie down with the canines, you may…..stink in the morning
10. The pen is mightier than the……………………….pigs
11. An idle mind is…………………….the perfect technique to calm down
12. Where there’s smoke, there’s…………………..pollution
13. Pleased the bride who………………….gets all the presents
14. A penny saved is……………………………….not much
15. Two’s company, three’s……………………..the musketeers
sixteen. Snigger and the entire world laughs with you, cry and….it’s important to blow your nose
17. Kids needs to be seen and never……….spanked or grounded
18. When the blind leadeth the blind……….get out of the way